Rule by Law vs. Rule by Majority
Just after the completion and signing of the Constitution, in reply to a
woman's inquiry as to the type of government the Founders had created,
Benjamin Franklin said, "*A Republic, if you can keep it*."
Not only have we failed to keep it, most don't even know what it is.
A Republic is representative government ruled by law (the Constitution). A
democracy is direct government ruled by the majority (mob rule). A Republic
recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals while democracies are only
concerned with group wants or needs (the public good).
Even though nearly every politician, teacher, journalist and citizen
believes that our Founders created a democracy, it is absolutely not true.
The Founders knew full well the differences between a Republic and a
Democracy and they repeatedly and emphatically said that they had founded a
Our military training manuals used to contain the correct definitions
of Democracy and Republic. The following comes from Training Manual No.
2000-25 published by the War Department, November 30, 1928.
- A government of the masses.
- Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of "direct"
- Results in mobocracy.
- Attitude toward property is communistic--negating property rights.
- Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate,
whether is be based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and
impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
- Results in demogogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
- Authority is derived through the election by the people of public
officials best fitted to represent them.
- Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with
fixed principles and established evidence, with a strict regard to
- A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought
within its compass.
- Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy.
- Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice, contentment, and
- Is the "standard form" of government throughout the world.
The manuals containing these definitions were ordered destroyed without
explanation about the same time that President Franklin D. Roosevelt made
private ownership of our lawful money (US Minted Gold Coins) illegal.
Shortly after the people turned in their $20 gold coins, the price was
increased from $20 per ounce to $35 per ounce. Almost overnight F.D.R., the
most popular president this century (elected 4 times) looted almost half of
this nation's wealth, while convincing the people that it was for their own
good. Many of F.D.R.'s policies were suggested by his right hand man, Harry
Hopkins, who said,
"Tax and Tax, Spend and Spend, Elect and Elect, because the people are too
damn dumb to know the difference".